Our Medical Screening Department will contact you prior to your exam to conduct an interview. You may also reach them at 559.447.4000. When you call ask to speak with the Medical Screening Department.
Preparations will vary depending on the kind of exam you are having performed.
If you have a known allergy to intravenous iodinated contrast,you may be required to take a pre-medication regiment. To determine if you will need a special prep, please call 559.447.4000 and ask to speak with the Medical Screening Department.
For any exam requiring IV contrast,please do not eat or drink anything four(4) hours prior to your exam.
1. CT Abdomen or Pelvis
- Please do not eat or drink anything beyond the necessary preparatory items listed below (i.e. no coffee, tea, or food) four (4) hours prior to your exam.
- Drink one (1) bottle of CT contrast fluid one (1) hour prior to your exam.
- You have the option of arriving one hour prior to your appointment to drink the contrast fluid, or you can visit AMI the day prior to your exam to pick up the contrast fluid.
- Drink 16 ounces of water again 30 minutes prior to your exam.
- The technologist at AMI will provide you additional water to drink immediately prior to your exam.
2. CT Arthrogram and Myelogram
- Please do not eat or drink anything four (4) hours prior to your exam.
- You may be asked to withhold certain medications (5) days prior to your exam.
- Blood work may be required prior to your exam.
- The screening department and nurses will contact you to go over these details.
Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing. Metal objects can affect the scan, so avoid clothing with zippers, snaps, and metal around the drawstrings. You may also be asked to remove hairpins, jewelry, eyeglasses, hearing aids, and removable dental work depending on the area we are scanning. Women should always inform their doctor and the CT technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.