- You will receive a letter in the mail prior to your procedure with more specific instructions regarding medications.
- Lab work will be required prior to the exam. A technologist or RN will contact you to speak further about this.
- Please plan on arriving 30 minutes prior to your appointment for patient registration.
- Please do not eat or drink anything four (4) hours prior to your scheduled exam time.
- Please make sure to bring a driver with you to take you home.
- Please have a list of any medications you are currently taking ready for the technologist.
- Please inform the technologist if there is any chance you may be pregnant.
- Please remain on bed-rest 24 hours after your exam.
- Do not work for two (2) days following your exam.
What is a Myelography
Myelography is an examination of the spinal cord and the space around it. Myelograms render images that show distortions of the spinal cord, the spinal canal, and the spinal nerve roots.
When is a Myelography Used
Myelograms are performed for the following reasons:
- To detect spinal lesions or other abnormalities.
- Ruptured or herniated disks.
- Bone spurs causing back pain due to pressure on nerves.
- Tumors in the spine or around the tissue.
- Infection, inflammation, abnormalities of blood vessels that supply the spinal cord, and other traumatic injuries.