Barium Enema Preparation
How to Prepare for Your Barium Enema Exam
- Please plan on arriving 30 minutes prior to your appointment for patient registration.
- Before arriving for your exam let the Scheduling Department at AMI know:
- Whether there is any chance you are pregnant.
- Are allergic to barium or latex.
- If you have had an upper digestive barium test (Upper GI or barium swallow) recently.
- 1-3 days before your exam please abide by a clear liquid diet.
- Day before test:
- Drink large amounts of non-carbonated clear liquids.
- Drink the prep material provided by AMI.
- Date of the test:
- Bowel preparation requires liquid passing through the bowel to be free of any stool.
- You may be required to repeat the enema until the liquid that passes is free of any stool.