How to Prepare for Your Thyroid Scan and Uptake Exam
Please let the technologist know if you:
- Are pregnant
- Have had a nuclear medicine scan before
- Have had a recent barium study or have used x-ray contrast
- Have any fractures or artificial joints
- Have any allergies
Prior to Exam
- Please do not take any of the following:
- Thyroid hormones 4-6 weeks before your exam.
- Multiple vitamins or iodine supplements within one (1) week before your exam.
- Anti-thyroid medication one (1) week before your exam.
- If you have had an IVP (kidney x-ray), CT, or any other x-ray and were given contrast, you must wait 4-6 weeks before having a nuclear medicine thyroid study.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to your exam.
Last Updated Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 01:04 PM.